Thursday 1 January 2009

Game over! Giving up gaming, The Rationale Day 1

My name is Chris and I love video games! I have played them for years and they are my main hobby. I love the thrill of FPS's and the excitement of leveling up in an RPG. I have always played games and I try and fit in gaming on a daily basis. However, I have recently started to feel that they are taking over my life a little. See the problem is that I cannot play them in moderation. When I sit down to play a game 5,6,7 or even 12 hours pass by.

I have also started to feel that there are other things I want to do with my spare time. Therefore I have decided to give up all video games for 365 days, starting today 1st January. I am going to blog my efforts to stop playing video games on this page, I have also set up a Just giving page and a widget below if anyone fancies sponsoring this challenge. All money will go to 'Child's Play Charity' which is 'dedicated to improving the lives of children with toys and games in a network of over 40 hospitals worldwide' . All money donated through this blog will go to Alder Hey Children's Hospital.

Below I will detail the rules for the challenge, what I am going to try to achieve with all my new spare time, what I will be missing out on doing this challenge and also how people can check up on me to make sure that I have not relapsed!

The Rules
  • All forms 0f electronic based games must not be played for 365 days. Electronic based games include:
  1. All consoles (E.g. Xbox 360, PS3, DS, Wii, Megadrive etc.)
  2. All java/flash based internet games
  3. All PC games including solitaire!
  4. All mobile phone (cell phone) games
  5. Pinball machines, arcade games (Coin-op), fruit machines (gamblers)
  6. Any other electronic LCD games
There is only one exception, and that is Lips on Xbox 360 as it is more Karaoke than a video game and I enjoy a sing when I am drunk. If anyone feels this should not be allowed please let me know!

  • I am not allowed to partake in any gaming no matter how much friends insist or how intoxicated I am!
  • I am not allowed to watch other people play video games or give guidance
  • Watching videos of games on youtube etc is also banned.

What I will miss out on

  • Halo 3 Recon
  • Halo Wars
  • World of Goo
  • Call of Duty Modern Combat 2
  • Left for Dead new DLC (very upset about this one!)
  • Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars
  • Bionic Commando (Remake)
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Alan Wake
  • Chrono Trigger DS
I will update this list every time a new game which I really want to play is released


What I will do with all my spare time

  • Write a book
  • Take more photographs
  • Finish reading The Dark Tower
  • Read 'Akira'
  • Design a website
  • Master Photoshop
  • Write an up to date blog
  • Make a video like this
I will write updates on how close I am to achieving these new hobby quests


How you can check up on me

  • My xbox my main gaming machine is linked to xbox live. I will keep it linked up and if I sign on to play a game it will be recorded. You can use 360voice.com to keep a check on me . My page can be found here
  • I will delete all games from my mobile phone
  • My DS will be given to my girlfriend for safe keeping
  • As for all the other opportunitites I have to play games you will just have to trust me that I am not playing them. I have told enough of my firends that I am doing this and they will never let me live it down if I start playing games. I will be very honest especially as hopefully people will donate some money and I don't want to cheat you all!
I now enter my first day of no gaming. Wish me luck!

C

3 comments:

  1. No game for the whole year? Well buddy I really wish you luck. So how have you been doing since you started? But you know, playing Download Games isn't that bad as long as you were able to manage your time. Make your time scheduled ahead of time. I suggest you make a TO DO LIST, from there you are able to keep track of the things you need to do. The lists you wrote there instead of playing games on your spare time? Those pretty much interesting to dos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am selling my 360, all accessories, and all games. I have finally got serious about following God. Not everyone will understand this but that's ok.
    The way these games are set up, NO ONE can manage their time right. EX. Nazi Zombies: if you want to get to a decent level with 4 of your friends, this could easily take hours. These games demand our time. God also demands our time and I finally had to make a choice.

    IT WAS EXTREMELY HARD going cold turkey. By brother and I have played games together our entire lives, from Mario to Halo. I know it sucks but there are more important things in life.

    This is what hit me so hard: I didn't want the best memories between me and my brother to be video games. I AM GOING TO CHANGE THAT!

    I hope you find success with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God doesn't demand anything, Anonymous; men who presume to speak for God do. I've given up both God and gaming, and found another, far more fulfilling "g."

    ReplyDelete